Seminar: Applications and Interviews to impress
This seminar deals with formulating convincing written application documents and also preparing for and dealing with interview questions in English – focussing both on content and on useful formulations. After looking at what belongs to an application in English, the seminar will work through the various sections of a CV or résumé, sample application form questions and how to compose strong letters of application. In the course of this seminar, students‘ individual questions will be dealt with, and students will be given tips on how to make the best use of the space at hand. Strong formulations and „action words“ for all kinds of written application documents will be discussed, and students will be given practice in optimizing the descriptions of their individual experience and qualifications. Preparation for interviews will also be dealt with, as well as mastering interview questions both in terms of content and language, and interview situations can be practised in role-play situations if participants wish. This seminar will be held in English, but questions can also be formulated in German.
- Prepare a convincing CV and meaningful cover letter for applications in English speaking countries
- React confidently to questions in English application forms
- Prepare for an interview in English
- Optimize linguistic competencies for applications (written) and interviews (verbal)
- Master typical and difficult questions in interviews in terms of content and language
When: Friday, 08.November 2019; 09:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.
Where: 5.430 (room changed)
Instructor: Rona McGeoch
- After having gained extensive experience in project management and having managed German-English teams, Rona McGeoch now is a lecturer at Hof University of Applied Sciences and an author at one of the leading educational publishers in Germany. She also works as a trainer, coach (negotiations, presentations, …) and consultant for soft skills (effective use of voice, communication training, …) at universities and companies since many years.
Important notes: Existing written application documents in English can be brought along.